Tuesday 30 April 2013

John Thompson

          
  Dublin-born Thompson, who won three full international caps, began his career with Nottingham Forest as a trainee and played 148 games during a six-year spell at the City Ground from 2001.His Stags career has been plagued by injury and he says the impact the awful injuries he sustained during a pre-season friendly against Ilkeston FC in August 2011 have left him with no option but to retire.He joined Oldham Athletic in June 2007 after a loan spell with Tranmere Rovers and then returned to Nottingham with Notts County in October 2008.Thompson, who has only played 11 games for the Stags this season and has not featured since January, said: "It was something that should never have happened on a football pitch. I had almost 60 stitches in my face, broke my nose, damaged my shoulder and dislocated my finger.While at Meadow Lane, Thompson made more than 100 appearances for the Magpies and was captain of the side that won the League Two title in the 2009-10 season.When I eventually got back playing after overcoming most of the physical issues, I soon realised I was doing things which I wouldn't normally do on the pitch. Panic attacks were common and I would not be able to sleep before games. My confidence on and off the pitch had been severely knocked.I have been fortunate enough to have had a great career and played for some good clubs," Thompson continued.It was nice to finish my career by being a part of a Mansfield Town squad which has won the league and more importantly promotion back to the Football League, where the club deserves to be.But after seeking medical advice and speaking to my family and friends I feel it is the right decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment