Tuesday 21 May 2013

Commons ends Scotland career

               
   Commons added: "I have thought about this decision for some time.Commons was often omitted from Scotland squads under Strachan's predecessor, Craig Levein, a decision he once called "baffling"."I am on very good terms with him and I wish him and the Scotland team all the very best for the future. I am sure Gordon will do a great job.At this stage of my career I just want to give Celtic my 100% commitment and ensure I can prolong my club career as long as possible.Despite playing well for Celtic in the Scottish Premier League and in the Champions League, he did not make Levein's original squad for the World Cup qualifiers in Wales and Belgium last autumn, but was then called up - and played in both matches - when Robert Snodgrass, Jordan Rhodes and Steven Naismith were unavailable.I also want to give my young family more attention, something I have not been able to do for some time.Born in Mansfield and qualifying for Scotland through a Scots-born grandmother, he was given his international debut by George Burley as a second-half sub in a 0-0 draw against Northern Ireland in 2008 while a Derby County player. Neil Lennon had spoken to Gordon in person a while back and I was really pleased to speak to Gordon today.Strachan, who left Commons out of his squad to face Croatia on 7 June, said: "I spoke to Kris tonight and understand his family considerations. I wish him the best of luck for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment